Monday, April 30, 2012

Historic Governors Island!

This summer be sure to visit historic Governors Island!
LMK and a whole bunch of other great, one-of-a-kind handmade items will be found at the Better Than Jam Summer Handmade Gifts Shop.

10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Better Than Jam 
Summer Handmade Gifts Shop

Governors Island, NY

This summer, the Bushwick boutique, Better Than Jam is once again journeying to the historic Governors Island, and bringing the creations of New York City's most talented artists and crafters. From May 26 through September 3, one of the island's historic apartment buildings will be filled with the work of local designers, artists, and crafts people, who have turned their creative eye toward the island just off the shores of Manhattan and Brooklyn for inspiration.

In coming to Governors Island, Better Than Jam hopes to create context around artisanal processes and inspiration. Better Than Jam’s gift shop will complement and add to the Island’s growing popularity, allowing visitors to take home a tangible memento from their Governors Island visit—a souvenir that was designed and crafted with the island in mind. With the help of the Etsy New York Team, the shop will also host demonstrations and workshops on Saturdays, to show and teach visitors some of their skills.

Short History of Governors Island
The Native Americans of the Manhattan region referred to the island as Pagganck ("Nut Island") after the Island's plentiful hickory, oak, and chestnut trees. In June of 1637 it was purchased by the Dutch and was called Noten Eylan . In 1664, the English captured New York, and took the island, however, the island switched hands between the British and the Dutch over the next 10 years until
the British regained exclusive control of the island for the "benefit and accommodation of His Majesty's Governors,” and officially it became Governors Island in 1784. Defensive works were raised on the island in 1776 by Continental Army troops during the
American Revolutionary War, and fired upon British ships before falling into enemy hands. From 1783 to 1966, the island was a United States Army post. From 1966 to 1996 the island served as a major United States Coast Guard installation. On January
19, 2001, 22 acres of the Island was proclaimed a National Monument, and in 2003, the remaining 150 acres of the island was transferred to the State of New York for a nominal fee of $1.

No comments:

Post a Comment