Scallion pancakes are tasty finger foods great for potluck parties. Best of all, they are easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time and reheated. This recipe I share with you is the result of years of experiment and improvement based on a classic recipe. My family and friends love them. I hope you do too.
Valentine is around the corner. Why not make some heart shaped Valentine Scallion Pancakes?
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup hot water (not boiling)
1/2 cup ice water
2 bunches fresh scallion (several stalks tied together with rubber bands make one bunch)
Wooden spoon for mixing hot water with flour
Plastic wrap or damp cloth
Pin roller - if you don’t have one, a clean glass bottle to flatten dough
1. In a bowl, slowly add hot water in steady stream to flour while stirring with wooden spoon.
2. Continue stirring while cold water is added. Form dough into a ball.
3. Oil inside of bowl. Set dough in it. Cover with plastic wrap or damp cloth and let rise at least 30 minutes.
4. While the flour rises, cut scallions into 1/8 inch thick pearls.
5. On floured or thinly oiled surface flatten dough to about 1/8 inch thickness.
6. Brush dough generously with oil. Evenly sprinkle salt. With your palms, pat the salt in. Cover with a generous layer of scallion pearls.
7. Roll it up like a jelly roll.
8. To make heart shape, bring two ends inward and downward to the center then gently flatten with palms and fingers. Make bottom of heart pointed. If the scallion pearls break through the dough, just sprinkle some flour on it and press again.
9. To make circular shaped scallions, cut roll into three or four pieces and set it on cut edge and press down.
10. Panfry at medium heat.
11. For crispy scallion pancakes, pat and press with spatula.
Voila! - Bon Appetit!!!